18 Jun 2012

Fiddling on Two

During this morning I had been taking advantage of the better Wx and went outside to play with mast's and poles in an effort to find  suitable  support for my H/Brewed 2m beam - the 7/10m fiberglass poles had too much give (even with topmost sections removed) so settled on a 5m painters pole  which I got last year for painting a difficult to reach gable end.
I decided not to go to the full height  but instead opted to use some 32mm Upvc piping for the top of the mast which easily slipped over the top - It was a calm day, but had it been too breezy staking would be required - the 4 ele beam was secured by using the fitting off an old 10m job though I feel it might be just too heavy, a lighter one may be more appropriate - with some thought I'm sure we might brew one up.
So sitting in some rather pleasant sunshine hooked up the Analyser  to discover the Swr was 1.2 across the band and a quick tune across the lower end produced ON0VHF in JO20HP central Belgium - what a surprise for me as we are low lying here in the south and 80% surrounded by sea water - I dont know if there is a lift on or not but then heard GB3VHF up on the North downs in Kent, rotating to the south heard F5ZGF in IN88JS in central France.
I have never taken an interest in VHF but the results today so far at sea level are very interesting - imagine what one might hear, or even better work, on much higher ground ? I am  encouraged to take this prototype set-up out in the field and do some 2m CW.
I  am looking for a set-up thats very quick to deploy minimum fuss - same for HF - my Roach pole/single band dipoles always seem to work well though - but the best part is being out in the sunshine with the fun of discovering new things.

Powered by ScribeFire.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Peter, nice results of your home brew beam. yes, I like 2 meter too. Band could always be surprising. 73 Paul

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. - Bedankt voor je reactie.
Gracias por tu comentario

Labels