23 May 2012

Delivery Frustrations

Most, if not all the Parcel Delivery services operating these days have Automated systems installed whereby you can log on and track your parcels progress through the relevant systems - most of the time it's just fine, and certainly "Royal Mail" here in the UK,  in particular score quite well  - but when it comes to "Home Delivery/Parcel Force  or UPS"  I expect problems and once again today proved just that - I placed an order Tuesday, it was scanned in and dispatched via Northampton to Barking (London) then on to my local area depot for dispatch and was expecting it to arrive today (Wed), all was well until I checked progress on their website having waited until  18:00, and discovered it had been flagged as not having a "Street Number", so therefore they could not deliver it - (or just not bothered more like)
In the 14 years we have lived here Royal Mail never appear to have had a delivery problem !!  but it appears some of the "Other" delivery services just dont cut it.  We live on an Avenue where a number of properties do  not have numbers but "House names", and checking back to the 50's that appears to have always been the case.
The last time this happened was last september when "Parcel Force" FAILED  quite comprehensively on TWO occasions  over a three day period to deliver a rather large parcel from the Netherlands which I had been tracking for a month and got short shrift from the driver who complained that ALL properties should have house  numbers like in the USA/Germany - are'nt these vehicles equipped with Sat-Nav ?, and if they cannot see the destination property would it not be prudent to ask someone local? I get SO frustrated with "Delivery Services" ,  so for a third time I had to wade through their web site to find a way of rescheduling and checking the address, all that seemed a waste of time  - I just needed to speak to a HUMAN BEING, not a Machine which insists on giving numerous useless options that are'nt applicable anyway.  Bahh!  now I'm getting wound up, so I just called their local office to be informed I'd dialled the wrong number, and after having "calmly" explained the situation was "Eventually" put through to "another" Human (I think) . . . to confirm my address, yesss that's right I HAVE NO STREET NUMBER - NEVER HAVE - NEVER WILL, Please reschedule for tomorrow I WILL be here all day.
Waiting !  There must be some bug/flaw in these systems surely, they can get the Postal Area correct and a sat-nav will get you there (Mine does), the driver then needs to execute some common sense (whats that),  surely ?! by asking a few simple questions - I guess thats too difficult and time consuming.
Totally Frustrated now.

Powered by ScribeFire.

2 comments:

  1. I hope you never need an ambulance in an emergency, Peter. The postie may come round often enough to learn where all the houses with names are. Others don't. They could ask, but I wonder how many of the named houses in your street *you* could give a van driver directions to if asked?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having had the chance to "Reflect", you have a point with the local posties, I still believe their sat-navs would land them within asking distance though as there are'nt THAT many properties on this side.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. - Bedankt voor je reactie.
Gracias por tu comentario

Labels