7 Nov 2011

This is WAR

Yesterday I picked up a few bits at a radio rally in London, a new 43 foot pole, some ground stakes, and one of these ready made (out of the box) end fed antennas (my thinking was portable qrp up on the pole 10m set-up) so this morning I did just that  out the back here and worked into Minsk EU1DC ALEX – Tnx fr 579. Hmm Swr not bad 1.2:1 so it IS at least working.

But the trouble started when I went to compare signal strengths on my other recently installed “Sandpiper MV5+3 vertical”  which to be fair had been working quite well up until last friday at least – upon switch over the  silence was ear shattering ! Something amiss here… I quickly tuned across all the other bands and compared signals (or lack of)….  signals were  w a y  down I went straight out to inspect the feeder – it leaves the shack and is tucked in close around the base of the building (in this case) and winds it’s way across a lawn to the back of a shrubbery and there sure enough my worst fears were confirmed as you can clearly see:-

DSC01129

I suppose it’s my own fault for just leaving the cables unprotected in the open – my original plan was to get as many of the feeders into long runs of buried 5” piping which enabled easy access for additional cabling or replacements – plus, I should have taken more heed of an incident a couple of weeks ago when I left a dipole on the lawn that was totalled by the “Foxes” (They’re more like Wolves around here) and somehow I just ignored it ! They even hacked up and gnawed some of the radial wires too:

DSC01130

They even sniffed around the base of the antenna and had a go at the earth wire too connecting the radials etc.… so all in all not too happy with this situation, so it’s WAR from now on and frankly I’d hoped they would have moved on during late July/August but they appear to be hanging around and dont know why – we did have a Fox problem 5 years ago with the constant fouling, ripping up flower beds, eating our strawberries and such – but I managed to block off areas of the garden but this year some of the hedging has died back leaving larger gaps for them to enter  Grrr I’m wishing now I’d taken action earlier and buried those  darned cables in pipe – all is not totally lost, rather than replace the whole run I’ll cut out the “chewed” section and join it – some of the cabling will have to be pinned to the walls now, and try to bury as much out of sight as I can, I just did not think they would go for it !  Wrong.

DSC01131

How do I actually get rid of them ?

6 comments:

  1. Try steel tubes to run the coax through and put 230V on it. Don't forget to switch off the power if you need to work on it. Goog luck fighting the foxes...73, Bas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bas:
    Yes some shock treatment - (RF)... maybe I should borrow a Linear and give them some ?!
    Will start burying cables in conduit tomorrow (And Foxes) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Peter, OMG, that isn't good. I do have my coax 5 meter up against the outside wall. No foxes here. Good luck, 73 Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Paul - Hope you are both well!
    Foxes have been a problem since early summer - this is the first time they have attacked the cables though - will bury some cables tomorrow in trunking or conduit ...

    73' Peter

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I have to run my LMR-400 out of the house and underground into a field and then out to my car I used what is called seal tight flex. I was a metal flex tubing covered in plastic. It is used in electrical applications here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mike
    Started burying today - constant fine rain soaked the ground so it was very easy to cut the soil - hope I have tucked the cable away from harms way ?!
    I used large conduit, mainly as it's cheap and it's easy to work with - hope the Wx is better tomorrow !

    73' Peter

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. - Bedankt voor je reactie.
Gracias por tu comentario

Labels