29 Mar 2011

Firefox

I thought I'd take a look at Firefox 4 since I have been playing with the Browsers lately, also since I'd found Opera to be so much quicker that the Firefox 3.x.x , it deserved a chance - to begin, the download was faultless, as was installation and upon firing up (Instant Reaction) it's a Chrome copy, with a distinct whiff of Googles Chrome - but of course it's not, a deeper look revealed slightly more to it than Chrome, though was disappointed to find it was just as slow as the old version.
I quickly checked Chrome and it took four seconds to fire up - actually I was surprised at this  -  once again back to FF4 and it fired up in some eleven seconds (On this machine) with 2Mb ram...! H'mmm maybe it's this "Haminfo Bar thingy" ? I disabled it and it came up with seven seconds +/-, but I find the "Haminfo Bar" very useful, and once your running it's ok so I guess I'll put up with it's slow starting.
Out of interest I checked all three one after the other, bear in mind this is purely from a "user" point of view and is in no way intended to be a Technical "Review", here goes

Opera   8s     FF4  7s (Without Haminfo Bar)  11s (With)  Chrome 4-5s

IE9?  I have deleted all shortcuts and routes pointing to it on this system.

I run all the usual video and audio addons, the only others are  a screenshot tool, and the scribefire addon for the blogging which I only use for convenience as it's quicker than Windows Live-writer (Very nice but too slow) But then again that might be due to "W7"?
Might as well stick with FF4 - not a lot between them


Powered by ScribeFire.

1 comment:

  1. I don't use HamInfoBar but I do use other Firefox add-ins that make it indispensable even if it is slower (you should try to test, if you can, how long it takes to actually load pages.)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. - Bedankt voor je reactie.
Gracias por tu comentario

Labels