16 Feb 2011

Let the Action begin?

I have been totally “Inactive” for the last four or five days, I have had other business to attend to during this week, I also had big plans to start working my way through some old family photo’s and start scanning and cataloguing those only to find my Epson 3940 scanner had died (how thoughtless!) I tried most everything to get something out of it but was only getting a blur, if at all – so had to rush out and get a new scanner, to be honest I dont use it THAT much but it’s one of those handy things to have (More on that another time).

The aging laptop showed further signs of losing it when the mousepad started behaving erratically (Cursor kept pnging back to lower left or right hand corner of the screen – as if on elastic)  It was about to hit the Bit Bucket when I had a moments inspiration, lets see if another live Linux distro might work – (Enter Mepis – Antix 8.5)  It worked AND it detected the PCMIA card right out of the box – AND an added bonus its quicker than Ubuntu Xfce   It runs IceWM/Rox window manager – not bad for a 12 yr old laptop.

To my main point – I was amazed last night, the first time I’d switched the radio on for a few days and logged in to find the Solar Flux had hit 113 (Highest since 2005)  and that there had been a Massive X Class flare – the strongest for 4 years apparently the source (Sunspot1158) IS still growing – maybe now we can expect elevated conditions – (Dont forget to check VHF as well)…?

As I said -  Let the Action Begin

Will be monitoring  -  Happy Listening.

4 comments:

  1. Good morning Peter, I too was very happy to see the solar conditions when I checked on Monday. An SFI up over 100 is just great and with the ARRL DX CW contest this weekend I am wanting to see how my QRP signal does with the improved conditions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes this is now looking very promising - thats interesting, I might take a look at that - good chance to give away a few points ;-)

    Rgds: Peter

    ReplyDelete
  3. be sure static electricity didn't zap something in the mouse/cp. I had the same excperience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. GE Dick:
    The new Linux distro is doing FB here - All Rodent problems have disappeared - as for the scanner :-(
    this 12 yr old laptop now just good for surfing and e-mails in the comfort of the sofa in front of nice log fire ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. - Bedankt voor je reactie.
Gracias por tu comentario

Labels