1 Oct 2010

End Fed

I have been mulling for a while over purchasing a Par End Fed, but the cost put me off considering wSRCANThat's involved, so I set about building one – I sent off for some T200-2 torroids so I could play with  baluns, and also splashed out on the SRCX65 from Snowdonia Radio Company – I will be able to set these up and run comparisons once mine is finished, it certainly wont be over this weekend as the weather forecast is not looking too good, but I cannot wait as I (Hope) . . . I’ll have 80m available – I’m not expecting too much from these antennas but quite a few people are using them with decent results, (we’ll see) but if they work out I’ll leave one of them up – like everything else here, It’s an experiment – will post results when I get set up.

I’m not particularly a “DX” chaser but glad to work whatever I can, and last night I missed out on 7Z1CQ in Saudi on Psk, he popped up a couple of times but he disappeared into the ether !

7 comments:

  1. Hi Peter, the End Fed is a good working concept. Ready Made antennas are a bit expensive indeed, so it's a good thing to home brew yourself. Good luck, let us know how your experiences are. 73 Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Paul
    I have been looking at these for a while, I decided to go homebrew - I just hope it will give me a couple of extra bands which is ok - I hope my (Max) 20w is not just heating copper and carbon !
    Will keep you posted for sure.
    73 Peter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cross Country Wireless is making End Fed antennas at a more favourable price than importing one from the US. But making one yourself is really the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see cross country do a range of aprs gear - this is something I've been meaning to look into, but it will have to wait.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's the true ham spirit home brewing an antenna, I did a simple dipole in the attic. It's cool when it really does work. Keep us posted as to how it goes Peter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are great antenna's. I was "in the field" yesterday using a 40-20-10 meter combo. I worked Lithuania, Ukraine, and Italy "across the pond". (all around 5,000 miles) plus some nice "coast to coast" QSO's here in the US.

    The feed point makes absolutely no difference in performance.

    By the way...I was QRP @ 5 watts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well there you are, just 5watts - proves you do not need expensive qro gear to make good DX contacts - I cant wait to get this antenna up !
    Sadly we have some rather nasty weather at the moment.
    73 Peter

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. - Bedankt voor je reactie.
Gracias por tu comentario

Labels