22 Apr 2010

More Gadgets

More additions to the household in the form of the MFJ Antenna Analyser - this was one of those must haves and finally got to order one last month but for some reason there had been a delay with my supplier - I had been under the impression that the Psu was supplied with it but no - thats extra, but should not present a problem - so as I wanted to run a check straight away I loaded the rest of my AA size batteries (10 in all) ... ! I was glad to see my 40m dipole which was cut for 7025, dipped around 7012 - and the 6m beam which has been sitting on my garage floor for the last six weeks was mounted on a pole and that came in at under 52 Mhz so needs tweaking - hopefully will get that up next week as I have to change the direction that the mast tilts over for easier access - and requires some drilling (I suppose it will rain next week) ! First impressions of the unit (for the money) I'm not particularly impressed with build quality, I have bought many items in the past and it lacks something, however it's minor and I will not be sitting there looking at it - compare that to the looks and finish of the K3..... does'nt look too bad in the photo but it has rough edges - same with the paint finish, internals same.
MFJ 259B

5 comments:

  1. I've never regretted buying the RigExpert antenna analyzer. It's well made, easy to use, can be connected to a PC and includes rechargeable batteries and a charger. At the time I bought it the price was around the same as the MFJ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got a MFJ259 as well. It does the job. But I don't think it deserves the name analyzer. These days you can get much more sophisticated devices which can be connected to a computer to really analyze your antenna. But it's just what you want. I'm very satisfied with it. A nice feature is that you can measure the loss of your coax. 73, Bas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Julian/Bas for comments - Well we will see how we get on , I have a couple of things I need to check on - Also have a few antennas made up ready for testing - next on my list is a loop, I used one some years ago and was amazed at how it nulled out local noise, worked into Africa as well which I'd not done before.

    Enjoy the sunshine..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi - I have an MFJ one as well, though only HF and SWR, no impedance meter/LCD display.

    I wish now I had gone for the better model as I am interested to see the relationship between impedance and swr, we know that a low swr is not the end of it by any means.

    However it's still a uesful piece of kit for one who like messing round with bits of wire.

    73
    Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Paul:

    Yes I'm always "Playing" in the garage making up dipoles - it's funny I ALWAYS end up with a dipole because they ALWAYS work - I have been surprised by some of the results though however accurate the measuring is.
    I am pleased my 2 el for 6m is within the expected range, and I expect it will change when I get some height on it - still waiting for that opening - not had contact on 6 yet :-(

    73 Peter

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. - Bedankt voor je reactie.
Gracias por tu comentario

Labels