27 Feb 2010

Fresh Air Day

 Beautiful day here today, and one in which I managed to get outside and get the garden tidied (with one eye on planning for, and erecting a new antenna)? They forecasted showers during the morning deteriorating in the afternoon - I recorded a very pleasant sunny  11C, and when visiting our greenhouse it was a "cool" 23C, prompting thoughts of Qrp/P.Also working in the fresh air helps me to reflect on what I need to do for the weeks ahead, and more importantly achieving that "Balance" between "Radio" and "Home Life", as we all know just how easy it is to become engrossed in Amateur radio and it's assotiated activities - I find working very early in the morning on the radio/computer fits in with my weekdays - weekends are for getting those "other" jobs done - and the late evenings are good for me. Also been weighing up the possibility of erecting another antenna, mainly where to site  it. Another thing that I have been preparing for is the introduction of new radio equipment - I am now thinking along the lines of one decent general purpose Tcvr come (Back - up), and a "Main Radio perhaps in the shape of an FT950 or really pushing the boat out for a K3 - still undecided as I need "other" things in the shack as well. The one thing that strikes me is despite all the thought I have been putting into radio since I have been "Back on", is the lack of Qso's - this is something I need to work on, I have been spending  far too much time "Playing with and setting up software" - Linux to blame there ! Thankfully the bands ARE showing good signs of improvement, and am most impressed with Pauls (PC4T)'s  DX list using 5w - I sometimes think that perhaps it is a disadvantage owning a "G" call ? We press on.
Blogged with the Flock Browser

6 comments:

  1. I think worrying about the lack of QSOs is one of those niggles that affect many of us who have a broader interest in amateur radio. The hobby is whatever you make of it, whether it's tinkering with radio related computer stuff, building bits and pieces and going on the air mainly just to test them, or actual operating. There is no need to feel guilty about not endlessly filling your log with contacts. The only criterion is: are you enjoying it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julian:
    I'm enjoying EVERY minute since having been back on - things have moved on somewhat, so there is a lot to catch up on - I have a new found enthusiasm for the hobby and every bit as keen as when I received my ticket - it would be fair to say my interests have broadened, but the learning curve is just that bit steeper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a rainy day over here. Wish I could enjoy some sun. It is indeed difficult to balance daily life and the radio hobby. Especially in the winter till April, there are so many interesting things to do with radio. We also have a greenhouse and my XYL made a very nice corner with 2 seats in it. Now we're waiting till we get the 23C as well so we can drink a cup of tea in there and enjoy the garden. 73, Bas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bas:
    Yes we must not spend too much time on radio - get the magic balance. The weather will be better during this week maybe I look toward getting out in the car with my FT817 and see what we can do - I have a few ideas for quick cheap antennas - Enjoy your Tea with nature.
    73 Peter

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Peter, the weather and bands are improving. I hear birds singing at break of dawn. I love spring. Yes, a good balance between radio and family life is important. Don't forget that I am retired, I have all he time of the world. Hi. My wife is 17 years younger and I do have young kids also. (10 and 11 years old) The weekend is for the family, that's why I do not much with contests. One or two QSO's a day is OK. Have fun with the hobby, 73 Paul

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Paul:
    Not much going on with radio at the moment - busy searching for new equipment for the shack here - Yes, spring will be with us very soon - we have vegetables growing right now ready to plant out soon - I will also be ready to put up new antennas for HF/6Mtrs I have never wrkd 6 before - have 3 ele beam to go up.

    73 Peter

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. - Bedankt voor je reactie.
Gracias por tu comentario

Labels